Execution of earlier central government decision for establishment of National Institute of Science (NIS) in Bhubaneswar was demanded in a convention held in the P. G. Council Hall of Utkal University on 6th Nov. 2005.
Organized by Agamee Odisha in association with Utkal University Teachers Association, the convention put premium on the announcement of the then HRD minister Dr. M. M. Joshi on 9th December 2003 to establish four National Institutes of Sciences (NIS) at Bhubaneshwar, Chennai, Pune and Allahabad. Quite contrary to this declarations, Prime Minister, Dr Manmohan Singh has announced on September 28, 2005, the setting up of Indian Institutes of Science for Education and Research (IISERs) at Pune and Kolkata, respectively. The aim of both the Institutes being the same the convention unanimously felt that a grave injustice has been done to the state of Orissa.
The convention presided over by Dr. Debi Prasanna Pattanayak the convention has drawn up a plan of action that include 1. Organizing a students convention on 20th Nov. 2005.
2. Lobbying the MLAs, irrespective of their party affiliation, to press upon a common resolution for setting up of the NIS in Orissa in the coming winter assembly session.
3. Lobbying the M.P.s to raise the issue in the ensuing winter Parliament session.
4. Submitting a memorandum to the Honble Prime Minister on the issue in a delegation from Orissa.
5. Organizing a peaceful rally of the senior citizens to the Governors House and submitting a memorandum on the issue.
6. Postcard signature campaign on the issue (people can also send postcards with their signatures individually).
Two committees were constituted to carry out the plan. The first one is a technical committee under the chairmanship of Prof. Trilochan Pradhan with Prof. G.B.N. Chainy as the convener, and Prof. Dhanada Mishra and Dr. D.K.Roy as members. The second one is a steering committee, under the chairmanship of Dr.Pattanayak, President.