In the wake of regular pre-monsoon showers in the city
causing water-logging situations, Minister for Housing and Urban Development Sj. Pushpendra Singh Deo took a preparatory meeting with the officials of Bhubaneswar Municipal Corporation, Bhubaneswar Development Authority, Drainage Division, Public Works Department, Odisha Fire Services, JICA and OWSSB.
The following decisions were taken in the meeting:
1. A joint visit by the Bhubaneswar Municipal Corporation and Drainage Division across the city, identified 27 vulnerable points. ( List annexed)
2. Tender for de-silting of the 10 major drainage channels has already been floated by the Water Resources Department. The same will be opened on 10 th June and work will be completed by the end of 30th June.
3. Cleaning and de-silting of secondary and tertiary drains under the BMC jurisdiction is already in progress. While work in 57 wards of the city is being done by sanitation contractors under the supervision of the City Health officer. Engineering Division of BMC is taking up the work in rest 10 BMC-managed wards.
4. All the 27 vulnerable pockets will be divided among the three administrative zones of the BMC and will be monitored by respective three Zonal Deputy Commissioners (ZDCs) for effective and time-bound redressal.
5. A Control Room or Cell will become operational at the BMC central office at Gautam Nagar for the mitigation or management of any emergency situation.
6. To manage water logging situations adequate mobile pumps shall be arranged with the help from Odisha Fire Services.
7. The Public Works Department authorities will take up the cleaning work of the drains under their control as well and open adequate vents, so that rain water from the PWD roads can freely flow into the adjacent drains.
8. For immediate measures in case of blockage of drains by uprooting of trees or congestion of drains by plastic, paper or other waste materials even in case of major drainage channels, one JCB for each zone will be provided throughout the monsoon season.
9. Odisha State Disaster Mitigation Authority (OSDMA) shall be contacted in case of any emergency. Odisha Disaster Rapid Action Force (ODRAF) will be intimated as and when required.
10. A rapid Action Team will be operational for each zone of BMC by City